Saturday, March 19, 2005

Too little time, too many thoughts...

I've decided to post to this blog once a week rather than trying to post on a daily or every other day basis. There's just so little time and too many thoughts to keep up. My rationale is to let the happenings of the week fester until the week's end and then post the most memorable of the week to the blog.

I'm tired, can't sleep at night past 03:30 a.m. no matter what time I go to bed and when I do sleep I seem to wake up every twenty or so minutes. Just thought I'd share that with you. Not much I can do about it other than "talk" errr, "post" about it. Damndest thing I've ever seen... well, not exactly. I've seen some pretty "damndest things" in my life.

I don't understand a lot of things going on in this world right now and I'm certainly not trying to understand some of them but I just visited another blog called "Congo Watch"... have you been there? It's horrid. The inhumanity of it all! Humans are by far the most ruthless, destructive creatures on the face of this earth. I bookmarked the blog so I can monitor the happenings there, in the Congo. Not that I fear Congo tribal invasions of the State of Washington, USA but because I want to see what the U.N. is going to do and how they're going to go about it. Obviously they haven't done much to date and the massacres go on in earnest.

Another thing, who in the Hell designed roundabouts and why the Hell do they think they're so much more effective than stop lights? Whoever did ought to have their head examined. These little circles of frustration on the highways of life are places where people go to test their courage, driving skills, patience and proficiency in the art of profanity. Whoever designed these things should be strapped into a Radio Flyer wagon and towed by one of those very large SUV's through these blasted circles of confusion at fifty miles an hour... the average speed if you want to get through them unscathed. Perhaps then, at the hubcap/eyeball perspective that I have they can get the true feel of the meaning of the word "anxiety".

A bit about wildland fires... they tend to consume a lot of vegetation when they burn. I went out to "look" at several last weekend... part of my job. I was summoned to go out and poke around... you know, determine where and how they started. They were all human caused. Go figure. One in particular was a bit perplexing and somewhat humorous I might add. Picture a person fishing on a river bank at 07:30 a.m. on a cold, dry winter day. This person builds a small warming fire, typical for us "steel-headers" here in Washington State. From time to time the person leaves his fishing pole at it's pole holder and walks upslope approximately ten feet to the fire to warm up a bit. As time goes on the day gets warmer, the fire becomes less important and he/she eventually lets it "burn out". Around 11:00 a.m., while still fishing and enjoying the warming sun he/she hears a "crackling" noise behind him/her. That fire that had burned out came back to life with a vengeance! It was fueled by the oxygen ladened strong and dry east winds gusting at approximately 20 miles per hour and had left it's little 1 foot by 1 foot warming fire circle, spreading into the light vegetative fuels immediately adjacent to it. By the time the fisherperson turned around and saw the scene developing behind him/her it was too late... the fire had burned into the layered brushes dried by a long period of drought and, again pushed by those easterlies, was rapidly moving towards his/her fishing spot and along the river's bank.

Judging from the footprints left at the site the fisherperson left in quite a rush! At one point having to jump through the advancing wall of flame to get to his/her vehicle and eventual escape. Left behind was a half consumed can of Budweiser beer and the remains of a plastic "hook caddy". Most likely this person had to shower and change their underwear when they got home.

Speaking of underwear... have you ever forgot to put yours on? I'm not being crude here... just mentioning it because I did. Yesterday morning, garbage day, I forgot. I woke up at my usual "oh-dark-thirty" and went about my business of building a pot of coffee, etc. while wearing my pajama bottoms (lounge pants to most people). I remembered the garbage had to go out and remembered a time when I took it out in my pajama bottoms before. I was spied by one of my neighbor's wives (not Rod's) who just happened to be driving by at the time. She stopped, backed up and commented about how "cute" I looked in my flannel 'jama bottoms. I vowed that would be the last time I would wear them out of the house. Well, true to form and realizing it was garbage day I gathered the garbage in the house, took it all to the garbage can outside of the garage door and put it inside of that can. Then I went back inside and changed from my pajama bottoms into my Levi jeans. I usually sleep nude so I didn't have my underwear on. I could hear the truck the next block over so I was in a hurry to get the can to the curb and threw my Levi's on "a-la-natural" reminding myself to put some underwear on when I completed my task. Simply, I forgot. I even forgot to shave. Either way, everywhere I went yesterday I imagined people staring at my crotch as I approached. Sensuous in a way yet embarrassing in another way. Overall though, the feeling of freedom for the twins and their "friend" was quite nice. Even with boxers (which I wear) I haven't experienced that much "freedom" down there.

Well, enough of this. I'm sure this has conjured up some rather unpleasant images so I'll leave on that note. Take care all.

No comments: